Saturday, September 19, 2009

15 Miles and Counting...

We've had another great week. Nothing major going on. I've been busy pulling weeds all along the flower bed that runs the length of the front of my house. Then I laid down plastic and rocks to keep them from coming back so quick, the results look really nice and were worth all the work. Tom and I ran 15+ miles on Thursday night, my farthest run ever and we actually felt pretty good. We've been building up to it and we go 17-18 this week. I've been getting bored of running circles around the base and dreading the fatigue of the marathon so I have been working to have an attitude shift. I'm focusing on looking forward to my runs and tell myself I just can't wait for the marathon. It's actually working because as any runner knows, running is mostly mental. Tom and I are training for a marathon on Halloween this year. It is on a small island off the northwestern coast of Okinawa. It is a 2 hour boat ride from a port up north and it should be awesome. Here are some pictures of the course and the port.



Anyway, it should be a beautiful course and looks to be fairly flat with elevation changes no greater than 20 m at any point. Everything is in Japanese and after the race we will sleep in a gymnasium because there are no hotels on the little island and no fairies available after the race. The race doesn't start until 3:30pm... should be an adventure!

Well I'm off to figure out the book order for Hayden's class, I get to be in charge of it this year!!

Tracey

6 comments:

  1. that course looks beautiful. what's up with the japanese starting races so late in the day? sleeping in a gymnasium after the race - you guys are die hard. you'll do so well!

    adina

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you will have plenty to keep your mind occupied with on that run. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys must change the dark text font in your main body. It is so hard to read against the brown background! I usually give up halfway through, which is sad because I really like reading your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That marathon sounds worth it, but that would be hard to run in circles during training. Can't you guys run some of those routes Tom has been biking on?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um, I have to admit that every time I read your blog, I get a pang of jealousy...I wish I was running with you--actually, you'd run circles around me now, I'm sloooow. I've only been going twice a week and I'm barely up to 3 miles...it's pretty frustrating. I did sign up to do the human race 10k next month, are you guys doing that? It's only a 10k though, you'd probably have to run it twice to get a good workout in ;) I think you're amazing!! When's the marathon again?
    Oh, and I thought I commented on your trip blog, but I didn't...it looked like it was so much fun, glad you're back safe and together again. Next years trip we'll have to make sure we get to see you guys!
    Hey, this it totally random, but I need your recipe for your pepperoni casserole that we had at your house a couple of times...Bren's been asking for it.
    Sorry this was such a long comment! Keep up the good work!
    okay, I'm done now.

    ReplyDelete