Monday, July 20, 2009

Antimony and the Bryce Canyon Half Marathon

Well, I have left Washington and Tom has left the United States. I took him to the Seattle Airport where he was able to catch the Patriot Express, the free Space A flight and had a pretty decent flight back to Japan. I’ve been having a great time here in Utah and the kids are thrilled to be so spoiled by their grandparents. I arrived Thursday night and on Friday we drove down to southern Utah, to Antimony, a tiny town where my grandpa grew up and we still have a house, or rather cabin type house. On the way down I was able to stop in Spanish Fork to see my brother, his wife and my nephew Parker who is 4 and met my adorable niece Penny for the first time, she’s 5 months old and so cute!!! We enjoyed lunch with them and then continued on our drive stopping at Big Rock Candy Mountain before arriving in Antimony. We went for a ride on the 4 wheelers and took Hayden to go target shooting. He’s been so excited to go shoot a real gun for the first time. He was surprised it wasn’t as easy as it looks to hit the target but he eventually got one of the glass bottles and was really excited.
Then we had a hot roast and ate s’mores. I however, ate a microwave lasagna in preparation for my 1/2 marathon on Saturday morning!
I got up at 4 (after hardly sleeping due to kids and the stress of not getting up on time) I drove the hour from Antimony to Bryce Canyon, barely missing a deer, a fox, several rabbits and skunk on the way. I made my way around got to the starting line just in time. It was dark and cold but within in minutes of the race starting it started getting light out and the race was just beautiful! I thoroughly enjoyed it, the scenery was great, my music was great and I felt great. (is that too many greats?) There was a lot of downhill running which left me with a fantastic time but some really sore quads, bloody toes and swollen foot all in the name of fun. I finished a lot faster than I imagined possible. After the race I changed and we went back to the starting line to take a picture. We spent a while at Bryce Canyon going to a few lookouts. Once we returned to Antimony I showed the kids around the town and we climbed the trees and explored the ranches. Danica kept walking around holding Alyssa’s hand. When I tried to help out Danica said I had to let go because I was not Alyssa’s big sister and she was going to take care of her! It was cute.
We rode the 4-wheelers up the canyon and played in the river. It was freezing but we had a lot of fun!

Now we are back in Sandy. Today we went to my sister’s apartment and went swimming and then went to visit my grandma in Provo. The kids have been good and are really enjoying themselves. Our days are jammed pack with something to do every day. Time will fly by for us. Hopefully it will fly by for Tom as well because we miss him a ton and don’t want him too bored waiting for us to return! Well, I must go to bed I want to get up early so I can talk to Tom before he goes to bed...oh the time difference!

4 comments:

  1. You are amazing with all your running. I have a dream, but then I think about all the work that goes into preparing and it scares me. How long are you guys in the states? It is nice that Tom was able to have so much time off. We really enjoyed Andrew's this summer too before he started. He had almost two months. He got Back on May 8th and didn't officially start full time till July 1. We were spoiled. Enjoy Utah and all the family time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun that you are enjoying time in the states! So neat that plans are already in the works for the practice too. Nice job on the half marathon! I want to know your time! You are so inspirational (and skinny!) :) When do/did you head back home? Keep having fun with the fam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracey, I think I say this in every comment I make, but it's just so true...YOU ARE AMAZING!!! You'd run circles around me now, my foot still hurts when I try to get back into it. But someday (maybe after we have insurance again and I can get this problem taken care of) we're going to have to meet up and run a big long race together, if you can slow it down for me to keep up!
    It sounds like your trip has been so much fun so far, I wish we were lucky enough to be in utah to visit while you're here. It's been hard moving again and not having the Stinchfield's show up on our porch as our instant best friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post! Your idea is more useful for me. Thanks for sharing!

    Photos of Bryce Canyon

    ReplyDelete