Monday, June 11, 2012

Blue Lake Triathlon

My blog is dying and I need to revive it so here is my plan... lots of short blogs whenever I want instead of these long things that take me all night to write... so here's the first one (that actually turned out to take me half the night to write...) Last Saturday Tom and I did a Sprint Triathlon. It was my first one and his second. I watched him do a Sprint Triathlon last September and he was so awesome and did a great job. I felt certain I would drown if I ever tried one because I didn't know how to swim. However, his enthusiasm got the better of me and I decided I needed to learn to swim. Taking lessons wasn't in the budget but we managed a membership to a gym with a pool and I started to teach myself...most days I came home ready to qive up because I could barely manage the 25 meters across the pool. However, Tom wouldn't let me quit and finally it started to click and I was able to swim longer and longer distances. So this event last Saturday was a long time in the making and I really glad to have it behind me!! The swim, 800 meters, looked impossibly long as they pointed out all the buoys, it felt like it took forever and I was getting passed by all the swimmers who started after me, but I survived it and it turns out my time on the swim wasn't actually that bad!! The transition to the bike took a long time and I was still just amazed I survived the swim but being on the bike felt great. It was a nice flat ride, 12 miles. Then I hopped off the bike, switch my shoes and took off running. At this point I still thought I had failed the swim so I just kept telling myself I had to prove to myself that I deserved to be there and needed to ace the run. It was a cold morning and my toes were completely numb after the swim and bike so it felt very weird running for the first mile but eventually they warmed up and I was able to do a solid fast run. Tom can tell his own story but I know just from talking to him that he felt great and performed well every step of the way. He is definitely ready to step it up and gets the chance to in a few weeks when he does a half iron man!! Here are our results: Tracey https://www.athletepath.com/blue-lake-triathlon/2012-06-09/sprint-triathlon/a/traceystinch Tom https://www.athletepath.com/blue-lake-triathlon/2012-06-09/sprint-triathlon/a/650398

1 comment:

  1. Way to go, Tracey! I've been meaning to call you so I could hear about your race. It looks so cold! I'm sure you will take to swimming the way you have with biking and running and start placing in the top 3 every time. It will be fun to see (if you blog about it).

    ReplyDelete