Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Kokesai Street

Pretty normal week around here. Hayden had school every day, we fought about his homework every afternoon before he ran outside to play. Then he came in for dinner, piano practice, and chores. Today however he came home excited because he saved up $1 in play coins he earns for doing things at school and bought a homework pass so he doesn’t have to do his homework today. It’s the best thing on earth to him. Now I just need to figure out a system like that for during homework time so we are not battling so much. He spends ten times more energy complaining about the homework than actually doing it! I’m open to ideas if anyone has one. I’ve tried setting out a bowl of jellybeans and every time he argues or complains I take one away. That sort of worked... any other ideas would be awesome.

The girls are happy and healthy this week and have enjoyed preschool. Alyssa is talking so much more now it’s hilarious. She likes to try to make jokes and they are usually nonsense. The other day she said “I don’t want to go school.” When I asked why she just busted up laughing and saying “I was just joking!” Her and Danica are supposed to be taking a nap right now but I can hear them back their messing around. I”ve gone back like three dozen times and now it’s so late in the afternoon I just have to give up or they’ll never go to bed. I figured they would be extra tired today because we just got back from an outing but I suppose I am the only one who gone worn out!

Our outing was part of a new group I started with church called “Explore Okinawa.” We just go around to different parts of the city and explore. You can bring kids or just come alone. Today we went downtown to Kokesai Street, a large touristy, shopping market. The highlights were the fish market where the kids got to touch live lobsters and all sorts of unique fish. I should have taken photos of the puffer fish you can buy and the bright colors of the other unique fish. You can buy fresh stuff, walk upstairs and the restaurant will cook it for you. We opted not to buy our own fish but still went upstairs to eat. The food was good and we enjoyed our day!

Alyssa did a really decent job eating her food with chopsticks. She was very adventurous and ate all sorts of unidentifiable stuff in the bowl of rice and veggies I ordered.
Here are just a few of the kids who came on the outing!

The kids had to play with this cool dragon fountain we found!


I’ve been biking every day this week. I’m trying to fit in another 40 mile bike ride, hopefully tomorrow. I am having a hard time finding the time for it because I have to take Tom’s car in for an inspection and it’s pretty complicated. I was busy this week helping with two fundraiser lunches at the girls preschool. It was our first big thing and seems to have gone pretty well. All right, I keep falling asleep at the keyboard, I suppose it’s time to give up. I’m going to get the girls out of bed and take tired girls to the car insurance place and the commissary.... wish us luck!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you are on the preschool board. You are crazy! Didn't you know those positions are reserved for non-busy people? You are a super woman!
    I love that you planned an adventure to Kokasai street. We never went to the fish market but we should have.
    I ran 4 miles the other day. Wahoo! But then I paid the price and my stomach hurt so bad I spent the rest of the day on the couch. Good luck with your bike training.

    ReplyDelete