Monday, August 16, 2010

August

We're half way through August, I can't believe it! I am currently suffering from "toomuchtodoitis" and can't seem to find a cure for it. I would say it will slow down when school starts but I remember saying that I could't wait for summer so that life would slow down... hmmm. Anyway, I will post later about Alyssa's birthday but right now I want to remember summer time here, since returning from our trip.

It's been extra rainy but we've still managed to get out to the pool and beach a lot. We took our new friends the Palmers snorkeling and it kept pouring rain and then stopping, pouring again, stopping. The conditions were terrible but they still managed to fall in love with snorkeling and we can't wait to take them on a good day! Hayden is terrified of sea life, like jellyfish, and won't come in the water at all. But they are doing swim lessons right now and making some great improvements. Danica was afraid to even put her face in the water at the start one week ago and today I watched her let go of the wall, put her face in and swim to her teacher all by herself! I can't wait to go to the pool with her tomorrow to see if she will swim to me! Dani and Alyssa are the only kids in her class, it's nice to get private lessons!

Tom is busy training for a marathon at the end of October. He plans to run it in under 4 hours and is working really hard on his training. I am skipping the marathon this year for a number of reasons (one being the ineveitable ferry ride that left me puking last time I ran it) and instead have switched my focus to biking. Tom and I are signed up for the Tour de Okinawa, a 117 miles bike ride around the northern end of the island with a million hills. I have a lot of work to do to be able to keep up on the ride so I am running less and biking more.

Here is just a collection of pictures from the last few weeks!

I was cleaning the back room and then discovered this little guy... I must have disturbed his slumber. Can you tell how huge it is? It's bigger than the binding on the photo album. It's called a wolf spider, they bite but it's not poisonous any more than a regular spider bite, it just hurts more because it's so big. Tom chased down, through the play room before we finally smashed it. I see them outside when I weed or clean the patio but in the house...ugh...I've been needing to clean that room again and for some reason just don't want to...

Danica and her best friend Maeko at the splash pad at one of the beaches.
Tom and I went out to a Korean BBQ on the last Parent's Day out. You pick your food and cook it on the grill at your table. The pineapple was my favorite!
Some new families moved in so we took them to Jusco, the Japanese mall to look around and then to eat at the food court. This way the kids could get McDonalds and the adults could try some Japanese food. There is also a huge arcade that the kids enjoyed.
We took the new families to a park with a large cement slide. It was great but when I got home I realized Hayden had worn a hole in his pants from sliding so much!!

Alyssa can't get enough watermelon. Luckily, it's been on sale lately so I've been buying it. Last year we couldn't get a watermelon for less than $20, it's much better this year!
One rainy day we went to Wago Family Land. It's like Chuck E. Cheese on steroids. The girls loved this room that is just full of balloons blown around by fans. Hayden was playing a video game where the object was to use this huge samurai sword to cut fish. Awesome!

Tom and I attended the annual Dental Ball, instead of formal wear they did a Hollywood theme. Everyone dressed up like their favorite characters. Tom went as Chuck and I was his super spy girlfriend Sarah Walker. Sadly, hardly anyone had seen the show. It's not even broadcast over here. We just told them all they were missing out!
My best friend Joy is finally back!!! Her house was part of a power outage so I had the kids over to watch a movie in the a/c. It was fun to see them reunited after 5 months of her being back in the states while her husband is deployed.
Well that's all for today. Soon I'll write about Alyssa's birthday!!

2 comments:

  1. 117 mile bike ride ?! That sounds amazing can't wait to hear how it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been thinking about you. 117 mile bike race? Crazy! You might be ready for an ironman one day :) We are doing a duathlon next month, but the bike ride is only 9 miles.

    ReplyDelete