Sunday, November 1, 2009

Why did I get sick during the marathon?

Okay, so you're probably sick of hearing about our marathon now, but I found this article and thought it was interesting. Of course my parents were dismayed when they heard about my experience and couldn't believe I didn't just stop running. They were genuinely worried about me. I have been wondering if I was insane and really not smart and would I have stopped had we been around anyone who spoke English so I could have figured out another way back to the finish line besides simply running there...now I am not trying to compare myself to Kara Goucher, but it was nice to know I wasn't alone in this. Apparently, Kara Goucher, an up and coming great runner who ran the NYC marathon in 2:25 last year, also has a problem with throwing up when she is running...she also said it's hard to finish in the time you want because you are so drained and can't keep anything down to replenish.
However, she was probably sick from running so fast.... I have come to realize I was sick from the boat ride. I talked to my dad (from whom I inherited most of my less than ideal qualities like bad teeth, ugly toes, and motion sickness) and he said that when he gets seasick he is then sick for days!!! So, the fact that I was no longer on the boat didn't matter. What I took to be pre-race jitters was still the nausea from being seasick and it lasted for 4 days after the race causing me to even take a pregnancy test when I found myself up at 3:00am eating crackers to calm my stomach enough to go back to sleep! I think I"ll stay away from stormy boat rides in the future!! Hayden wants to go whale watching... I think I'll send Tom with him!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Tracey, I just read every word of all the marathon details. Of all the days to be sick!...I'm so sorry, that would be pretty frustrating to me, but you have a great attitude about it all! It's awesome that you still finished, and really you did amazing considering the circumstances. That's a total bummer about your knee acting up, I know how it feels to be so ready and excited to run but just not have your body cooperate, darn injuries! But maybe it'll slow you down a little bit so that one of these days (in the next couple of years) I'll be able to keep up with you! I could hold my own in a biking race now though, but like you said, it's just not as satisfying as running. Well, this is turning into an email, sorry. Tell Tom we think he's amazing too! Way to go guys! Hope you're feeling 100% better now Tracey.

    ReplyDelete