Wednesday, June 17, 2009

What I Miss Most

What have I missed the most about the United States? Well, I would say it is family or friends, signs that I can read, easy to navigate streets, less humid weather, Gap, Target or a dozen other things. But apparently, according to the dream I had I miss Costco the most! I dreamed that we got off the plane and went straight to Costco and were running around the aisles and couldn’t decide what to buy!

We have officially chickened out on trying to go Space A, they have cut back on flights and there are so many people PCSing (that means have a permanent change of station, in other words moving so they have priority on the flight) that it's just too risky. Even if we could manage to get ourselves somewhere in the U.S. we'd still have to get to Vancouver and between that airfare, hotels along the way, eating out and the uncertainty it just isn't worth it! We can't wait to get there so we are coming this Saturday. We leave here Saturday at noon, fly to Tokyo, a 2 1/2 hour flight, layover for a few hours and then begin the long flight. It doesn't sound too bad because it's only supposed to be 8 hours 40 minutes, a few hours shorter than coming this way. We arrive on Saturday morning at 9:30am, in Seattle. I am guessing we'll need a nap that afternoon since we arrive at 2:00am our time...bring on the jet-lag, it will be worth it!

I feel sad to be leaving behind so many great friends and fantastic snorkeling but I’m too excited for the trip to dwell on it much! To make things easier, we have recently learned the meaning of “rainy season.” I can’t believe there is that much rain in the sky, no wonder it feels like you’re walking through water even when it isn’t raining! It’s been raining non-stop for days and we are going crazy. And when I say rain, I mean RAIN! I finally saw a short break in the rain for this morning from 4-6am so I got up early and went out for a run. It had clearly just stopped raining and I was three miles from home when it started to pour on me... I might as well have gone swimming I was so wet! I’ve had dozens of errands and such to do so I have been dragging the kids around in the rain. Today we finally took a break from the errands and went to the Discovery Museum at the zoo and got out some energy. Then this afternoon I met up with a lady I visit teach and let the kids run wild at the food court play area. Well, Hayden ran wild, the girls were glued to me. I have been feeling so crowded lately. They fight to sit on me, near me, under my feet when I walk... so we sat at the playgound and they sat on me at the table while I tried to talk. I just keep telling myself to enjoy the phase while they like me...yeah... enjoy it...

One last thing- I will be arriving in Utah on July 16th and heading down south to Antimony where I plan to run the Bryce Canyon 1/2 marathon (I decided the Deseret News marathon wasn’t for me this year, between Tom being gone, the rain and our fun travel plans including a week on a houseboat, training for a marathon just wasn’t going to work for me!) Anyway, I’ll be back from Antimony on the 19th and then have until August 15th to spend with family and friends! So anyone that is in Utah or going to be visiting there during that time please let me know when you are available to get together! Email me at traceystinch@gmail.com

Well, I am off to do some packing and laundry and such... I don’t know how to plan for 8 weeks of living and still leave enough room in the suitcase for all the shopping I plan to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment